Production Blog: Fix This... And This... AND This



Hello! 

    Todays blog will be about getting an outside point of view for the opening sequence. The point of the film review is to understand how the audience may feel. Since I'm part of production, I'm not going to look at the opening with the same view as others. I went around the cafeteria on Friday and asked people for their opinions and I went to my sister and asked what she thought as well. 

    I tried asking people who didn't seem busy as lunch time is also time many do their own work or talk with friends and don't want to be disturbed. I looked for people I was acquainted with or familiar with. One of the many criticisms I got was that the cuts were choppy or the cuts were too noticeable. Someone even said, "It feels like I'm eating something but I'm never full." I'm not sure about the word choice but I can kind of understand what they meant. It was funny to me when I heard that. Another thing that was mentioned was that the staircase scene seemed quite random and out of place. I can also understand why and I am gonna bring it up and discuss it with my group.

    My sister was more harsh on the feedback and gave me her honest opinion. She watched it the first time to get an idea and then watched it a second time to get a closer look at the scenes, angles, cuts and etc. I trust my sister because I feel like she is very perceptive and she's an amazing artist so I know how creative she can be. She told me she knew my access to professional equipment was limited so she tried to give me advice on things I can change. She told me the very beginning was awkward when the actor walks onto the chair. Along with the scene where the mother calls out for the character. Unlike the other person, my sister liked the stair scene and felt like it added to the ominous feeling my group and I are going for. As for the scene where the actor opens the closet door and it transitions to a shot of the closet, she said it was choppy and could be executed better. If not editing could help. She also said that the low angle in the closet was strange but well. I think she leaned more to a no on that scene which I think is ironic because this was a scene we were excited to do and planned it before we finished the pitch.

    Over all, considering how little experience we have as a group and how we only used our phone cameras, I think we did good. The criticism I received was helpful especially from my sister. 




Comments